The state of California recently enacted a new law – Assembly Bill (AB) 104 – that will expand learning and credit recovery options for students who may have struggled academically during the pandemic-impacted 2020-2021 school year.
- A process for students who were enrolled in grades K-11 for the 2020-2021 year to request to repeat the last grade
- A process for high school students to change eligible grades to Pass/No Pass
- Exemption from district graduation requirements for students in grades 11 or 12 who were not on track to graduate
AB 104 also provides a process for high school students to request that a letter grade they received in the 2020-2021 school year be changed to a Pass/No Pass grade.
How to Request a Grade Change
There are two ways to request a grade change. The deadline for both methods was August 15, 2021. Any requests received after August 15, 2021 will no longer be considered.
Grade Changes FAQs
Who can request a grade change?
Families of high school students can request a Pass/No Pass grade change for specific classes or all classes in the 2020-2021 school year.
What postsecondary educational institutions will accept a Pass/No Pass grade instead of a letter grade?
The following postsecondary educational institutions will accept, for admission purposes, a transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade.
California State University Schools
- California State University, Bakersfield
- California State University Channel Islands
- California State University, Chico
- California State University, Dominguez Hills
- California State University, East Bay
- California State University, Fresno
- California State University, Fullerton
- Humboldt State University
- California State University, Long Beach
- California State University, Los Angeles
- California State University Maritime Academy
- California State University, Monterey Bay
- California State University, Northridge
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- California State University, Sacramento
- California State University, San Bernardino
- San Diego State University
- San Francisco State University
- San José State University
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- California State University San Marcos
- Sonoma State University
- California State University, Stanislaus
University of California (UC) Schools
- UC Berkeley
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UC Los Angeles
- UC Merced
- UC Riverside
- UC San Diego
- UC San Francisco
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC Santa Cruz
- Saint Mary’s College of California
- Holy Names University
- Pitzer College
- University of La Verne
- Westmont College
- Santa Clara University
- University of Saint Katherine
- University of Southern California
- ArtCenter College of Design
- California Baptist University
- University of San Francisco
- La Sierra University
- Mount Saint Mary’s University
What is the deadline to submit a grade change request?
A grade change request must be received by August 15, 2021. Any requests received after August 15, 2021 will no longer be considered.
When will submitted grade changes be made?
The district will change the student’s transcript
and notify families of the grade change within 15 days
of receiving the change request.
Graduation Requirements Exception
Exemption for 2020-2021 Juniors and Seniors of District Graduation Requirements
Finally, the law requires that high school students who were in their third or fourth year of high school during the 2020-2021 school year, and who were not on track to graduate in four years, may be exempt from our district’s graduation requirements that exceed statewide requirements. It also requires high schools to provide credit recovery support for these students, including the option to retake courses, or to enroll in a fifth year of high school, to complete state graduation requirements.
How to Apply
Sacramento City Unified will contact students eligible for this exemption. You do not need to contact the district or the school sites.